Wednesday, April 20, 2011

When It Rains It Pours

Lately we have been having some home mishaps around these parts which have me feeling overwhelmed, frustrated, and defeated. A couple of weeks ago our furnace bit the big one. Luckily, we were able to hook up our water to an electric hot water heater that was already in the basement and we can run our wood stove to keep the house relatively warm. However, we will be saving our pennies all summer so we can pay cash for a new furnace before the cold weather returns.

On top of our furnace breaking down we have also been having issues with our septic. Last week I went downstairs to do a load of laundry and was surprised with a utility sink full of water that was overflowing onto the floor. After an hour of lugging buckets up the basement stairs and dumping them out the Bilco Doors we had the water cleaned up. Jeff snaked the pipes and it seemed as though a certain little someone may have flushed something she shouldn’t have. It may have been tissues, baby wipes, or doll cloths. We weren’t sure but everything seemed to be functioning properly once again.

Over the weekend Jeff went to my parents to help put in new hardwood floors in their bedroom. After they ripped up the carpet it became apparent that the simple floor install would not be so simple. Whoever built my parents house had not laid the sub floor properly. For obvious support reason, seams of sub floor should lay on the rafters. These seams didn’t, plus they were dry rotted. Hubby, my father, and my brother spent the weekend replacing the rafters, installing a new sub floor, and then, finally, the hardwoods. An afternoon job for two turned into a weekend job for three. On the bright side, my parents have beautiful new floors in their bedroom and do not have to worry about falling through their floor.

Monday night I was trying to be productive in the kitchen and sanded all the Spackle. I was cleaning up the dust and went to the basement to get something. I didn’t even make it to the bottom of the stairs and could see water on the floor.

Oh. Em. Gee. I thought I was going to cry. I had forgotten that I was supposed to be taking it easy on running water. In the midst of me trying to be productive I had done a load of laundry, ran the dishwasher, gave Charlie a bath, and took a shower. I completely over did it. Imagine my guilt when Jeff got home and had to help me clean up the disaster mess I made. I told him what I did and apologized and he responded with “Things happen. The floor needed to be washed anyway”. He’s a saint. He could have easily been mad at me but instead we spent some quality time sucking and moping up water, rearranging our basement to remove things from the water, and cleaning the floor.

Tuesday morning he snaked our drains again and we thought our problem was solved. No such luck. Currently we can not run water in our house which makes my productivity basically zero. Here's to hoping Jeff can fix it in the morning and I will no longer have to go to my parents to shower, eat, do laundry, and basically live.

What household mishaps have you had lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment